Self Acceptance and Society/Fat Acceptance
Self acceptance is loving and appreciating yourself even if there are things you'd eventually like to change. Fat acceptance or society acceptance is getting society as a whole to accept that we have the same rights as everyone else and to reduce prejudice within the community.
Got something you want to say about acceptance? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Self-acceptance means unconditional appreciation and support for who you are now, including all the elements that you want to change.
Things you can do every day to boost your body image:
- Move your body by doing activities you love
- think of one thing you body did for you today
- compliment yourself
- smile at yourself in the mirror
- wear clothes that fit you well and make you happy, regardless of their size
The close of September ushers in the fall season and the beginning of the holiday season. Canadian Thanksgiving is October 13th and you can join in celebrating the blessings of the past year regardless of what country you reside in. Most of us will not be celebrating bringing in a "harvest" but there are many other reasons to express thankfulness. This fall dedicate yourself to being thankful for all of the blessings in your life. Make a list to serve as a reminder. You can make this list all at once or make it an ongoing task - whichever works best for you. Below are some ideas to get your list started.
- Your body! If you're reading this, your body has got you through another year so be thankful for it all it does for you.
- The Fat Admirers in your life.
- Fat Acceptance advocacy groups that exist to stand up for our rights.
- A Fat Acceptance song being #1 on music charts in the US, Canada, Australia, Denmark, and New Zealand! Meghan Trainor may think she's the one bringing booty back but we know it never really left.
- Civil Rights for same sex marriage in America (We're a decade behind you, Canada!)
- Family - Spouse, Parents, Siblings, Children
- Friends - Near and Far. New friends and old.
- Hot beverages on cold nights
- Your house/apartment/living space
- The kindness of strangers
- Religious affiliations or organizations
- Your job - even if you don't love it, be thankful to have it!
- SSBBW Magazine for providing monthly features as well as forums and resources
- The ever-growing plus size fashion industry
- Thanksgiving feasts with favorite foods, friends, and family
- Plus size Halloween costumes, Scary Movies, and Candy!
- The University of London study published in the September 2014 edition of the medical journal Obesity which put fat shamers in their place by proving that they do more harm than good.
Let this list serve as a starting place but get creative and think of everything in your life that you a thankful for. And remember what Meghan says..."every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top!"
Written by: Brigid Ashling
SSBBWs to blog about their lives each month...
My vision with this magazine is to let you know that you are not alone. There are other SSBBWs around the world with the same issues, thoughts, worries and joys as you have. Whether you have accepted your weight and love your body, whether you are actively working to lose weight or whether you want to get healthier and have more mobility but don't know where to start, you are not alone.
Whether you are single or in a relationship, have children or not, work or are unemployed, housebound or relatively mobile, healthy or have medical issues, you are not alone.
Let's band together and share our stories, our triumphs and our pain. Click here to view this months blogs.
"Hobgoblins know the proper way to dance:
"I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house.
So I spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air."