|Classic Burgers with Basil Mayo
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
1 large egg
1 1/2 tablespoons steak sauce
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
6 hamburger buns, heated or grilled
1. Preheat a grill or broiler.
2. Combine the mayonnaise, basil, vinegar and garlic powder in a blender and process until blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Combine the ground chuck, egg, steak sauce, salt and black pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Shape into 6 patties.
4. Grill or broil the burgers 5 to 6 inches from the heat for 5 minutes. Turn over and grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the centers registers 160F, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Top with the cheese.
5. Spread basil mayonnaise on the cut sides of the buns. Arrange 1 burger on each bun bottom. Top with the bun tops and serve.
|Grilled Smoky Cheddar Potatoes Packs |
4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
2 tablespoons bacon flavored chips
2 medium green onions, sliced (2 tablespoons)
1. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Place potatoes on 30x18-inch piece of heavy-duty foil. Sprinkle with salt. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon chips.
2. Wrap foil securely around potatoes; pierce top of foil once or twice with fork to vent steam. Cover and grill foil packet, seam side up, 4 to 6 inches from medium heat 45 to 60 minutes
or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with onions.
|Grilled Spring Vegetables |
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 pound asparagus
1 pound green beans
1/2 pound mushrooms, cut in half
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat.
2. In large bowl, mix all Herb Butter ingredients. Add remaining ingredients except walnuts; toss to coat with butter.
3. Place vegetables in grill basket. Cover and grill vegetables 5 inches from medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, turning vegetables once or twice, until tender. Sprinkle with walnuts.
If you don’t have a grill basket, use a sheet of heavy-duty foil and poke a few holes in the foil with a fork.
When grilling a variety of vegetables at once, be prepared to take each off the grill at a different time. For maximum flavor, season the vegetables with salt and pepper both before and after grilling.
|Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic or red-wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, smashed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
5 medium tomatoes
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
10 fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons capers
1. For the dressing, in a food processor or blender, process the basil, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper until smooth; set aside.
2. Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella into 1/4-inch-thick slices. On a serving plate, alternate the tomato and mozzarella slices and basil leaves. Sprinkle the capers on top.
3. Drizzle some of the dressing over the salad, serving any extra dressing on the side
|Mojito Freeze |
1 cup finely crushed pretzels
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
Zest and juice from 1 large lime
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh mint
2 cups thawed Whipped Topping, divided
MIX pretzel crumbs and butter. Press onto bottom of plastic wrap-lined 9-inch round pan. Freeze until ready to use.
BEAT cream cheese, sugar, zest, juice and mint with mixer until well blended. Whisk in 1-1/2 cups whipped topping; spoon over crust.
FREEZE 4 hours. Serve topped with remaining whipped topping.
Pina Colada Freeze
Omit lime zest, juice and mint. Add 1 can (8 oz.) Crushed Pineapple in juice and 1/4 cup toasted Coconut to cream cheese mixture with the whipped topping. Garnish with additional coconut, if desired.
Dessert can be stored in freezer up to 24 hours before serving.
|Ginger Grant |
1 cup ice cubes
3 fluid ounces whiskey
1 fluid ounce chilled ginger ale
1 dash grenadine syrup
1 maraschino cherry
Fill a high ball glass with ice. Pour in whiskey and top with ginger ale and a splash of grenadine.
Garnish with a maraschino cherry.