Yes, You Can!
Every month we will feature an exercise developed by our very own Personal Trainer, Mike Tattersall (as he says - Trainer to the Stars - 'cause we're all stars) - Ottawa, Ontario. We will use pictures to show an SSBBW doing the exercise and an explanation on how to do it. All our exercises can be done in the privacy of your own home and using things you have around the house. So throw your workout clothes on and get moving!
This month's exercises....
HEALTHY BENEFITS OF LAUGHING
- Anti-Stress - laughter is a muscle relaxant - it expands blood vessels - reduces levels of stress hormones.
- Strengthens Immune System - helps to increase the count of natural killer cells (a type of white cell) and raises antibody levels.
- Aerobic Exercise - inhale more oxygen while laughing - stimulates heart and blood circulation
- Controls Blood Pressure - 10 minutes of laughter can reduce blood pressure by 10-20mm
- Pain Killer - increases endorphins
- Alleviates Bronchitis and Asthma - improves lung capacity and oxygen levels in blood
- Internal Jogging - provides a good massage to all internal organs, enhances their blood supply and increases their efficiency.
- Makes You Look Younger - excellent exercise for facial muscles - tones up the muscles of the face - increased blood supply to face nourishes the facial skin and makes it glow
Some Laughter Exercises
- Aloha laughter: Shout alooooooooooooooooha ha ha ha to the top of your lungs as you swing your hips side to side and hands above your head, extending the "o" as long and as loudly as you can. You can do a milder version of this exercise by just saying “Aloha ha ha”.
- Flying bird laughter: flap your wings and fly around laughing!
- Gradient laughter: Fake a smile; giggle, then laugh slowly and gradually increase in tempo and volume.
- Hearty laughter: Spread the arms up, pointed to the sky, with head tilted a little back or with chin raised; laugh heartily. Direct your laughter to come straight from your heart. One should not keep the arms stretched up all the time during a hearty laugh. Keep the arms up for a while and bring them down and again raise them up.
- Laugh at yourself: Acknowledge a mistake and laugh at yourself pointing your index or thumb at your chest as if saying “I messed up!” Mistakes happen and nobody is perfect. Be humble and acknowledge what you have done incorrectly, learn from it and try again.
- Laughter cream: Rub your hands together rapidly for a few seconds until you start feeling some heat. You are preparing some powerful and healing laughter cream. When ready apply the cream all over you as if nobody was watching and laugh as you do so!